Thursday, June 3, 2010

Dubstepped in some grime: Dizzee Rascal

After a quick research, I realised that outside of the Beastie Boys, my music is primarily split into 3 parts: guitars, heavy bass and simple beats. Heavy Bass is the largest of this group and in it compiles of two groups: Grime and Dubstep. Now I shall touch on dubstep later, but because I have declared this week the unofficial week of Grime, I shall talk about one of my favorite Grime artists, Dizzee Rascal.

Grime can also be identified as British Hip-Hop but with beats for focused on heavy bass similar to dubstep. Its also relatively faster in pace, in the case of Mr. Rascal his raps border on inaudible but it sorta makes a cool beatboxing effect. First time I heard of Rascal was his song Fix Up Look Sharp which sampled Billy Squire's song, Big Beat. The beat was cool, the video was even cooler but his rapping was shit. This song stayed on my playlist on and off until my classmate who lived in England for awhile reintroduce me to it. After listening to it so more I realised that his heavy masked the really cool lyrics. Eventually I started liking more and more Rascal songs starting with Just A Rascal and Sirens then moved on to Stand Up Tall and others soon followed.

Outside of his music, Dizzee has hired some cool ppl to design his albums and choreograph his videos, Showtime is the only album who's design I did not like but the rest are all cool. They all have a defined theme and follow it.

My conclusion, try it out. If you don't like Dizzee, chances are you may like Wiley, who's like Dizzee but more audible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...